Now this is a super tasty vegan lasagna!
I was looking for good vegan lasagna for a long time and finally found the one that perfectly satisfies my taste. It will take some time and effort (and chopping) to make it, but it’s definitely worth it! Use the tips bellow to simplify the process.
I promise after you take the first bite, you will find yourself dancing around! It’s simply gorgeous. Even omnivore friends will be impressed. Already tested. It’s a perfect choice for the holiday season.
Tips to save some time:
1. Make the cheezy cashew spread a day or two ahead (click here for the recipe). As a matter of fact, it becomes even tastier when left for 2 days in the fridge.
2. You can also make the simple pasta sauce a day or two ahead (you can always make more to use for other meals as well). If you don’t want to make your own pasta sauce, just buy the one you like.
Ok, let’s go!
For the simple pasta sauce:
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1.5 cans of tomato paste
- ½ tsp. ground paprika,
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
For filling (sautéed vegetables):
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1, ½ tsp. soy sauce
- Coconut oil
Rest of ingredients:
- 2 store bought, pre-cooked seitan burger patties
- 1 package of whole grain lasagna noodles
- Cheezy cashew spread (for recipe go here)
- Oat cream for cooking (or soy cream if you prefer)
- Prepare the sauce: In a saucepan, heat the coconut oil and sauté onion and garlic over low-medium heat for about 5-7 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 15 minutes over low-medium heat. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling: In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil and sauté leek over low-medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the chopped vegetables and soy sauce and sauté for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add lasagna noodles. Boil for 8 minutes, drain, and quickly rinse with cold water.
- Spread some oat cream on the bottom of your lasagna dish. Add a layer of lasagna noodles, half of the cheezy cashew spread, half of the pre-cooked seitan burger crumbles, half of the sautéed vegetables and spread some of the pasta sauce (make sure to leave some pasta sauce for topping – after the third layer of lasagna noodles is added). And again, add second layer of lasagna noodles, the rest of the cashew spread, the rest of the veggie burger crumbles, the rest of the sautéed vegetables and spread more pasta sauce all over. Add the third and last layer of lasagna noodles, cover with the leftover pasta sauce and spread some oat cream on top.
Bake at 360°F (180°C) for around 35-40 minutes. Serve and enjoy the rich taste!
Recipe adapted from Oh she glows